--- Article Information --- Article's URL: http://www.lagunawoodscity.org/article.cfm?id=898. ---------------------------
The City of Laguna Woods began construction of the Ridge Route Linear Park along the unpaved portion of Ridge Route Drive in September 2008. Although planned for completion in December, the contractor has been delayed due to repeated rainfalls that have left the ground wet. Many of the plantings throughout the park and improvements to the dog park have been completed. The project now scheduled to be completed in March 2009 will provide:
· A 10-foot-wide decomposed granite path that is American with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant and will connect to existing concrete sidewalks at either ends of the park. Shrubs and trees that will be planted on both sides of the path.
· Furnishings that will include benches, trash receptacles, tables and drinking fountains.
· Up to ten community-designed gardens that will be spaced intermittently throughout the project with designs developed through a competitive process sponsored by the City. Approved designs will be installed and maintained by the City’s landscape maintenance contractor.
· Five Life Station exercise equipment areas with age-appropriate equipment.
· A bioswale drainage channel planted with natural grasses that will run along the edge of the park. This environmentally friendly feature will filter impurities from drainage water before it enters the storm drain system.
· A 42- inch-high wood rail fence that will be installed along the outer border of the park to provide a visual barrier for vehicles traveling the road.
· Improvements to A Place for Paws dog park will include: 1) narrowing its width to accommodate the pathway but increasing its overall size; 2) replacing existing grass, wood chips and soil with artificial turf; 3) providing for a 50-foot “time out” area on the east end and a new, ornamental wire fence and drinking fountain; and 4) paving and increasing the size of the parking area.- end -